Buyer Beware: Customer's Ongoing Nightmare Experience Covers More Than Two Years

Posted by: Jeremy Patterson on 11/17/2021

Anthony Taylor just wanted to buy a fast car and go race it. For most of us, the hardest part about that would be coming up with the money to make the purchase, but this Las Vegas resident had that covered. Taylor’s problems began once he’d actually bought the car, which was promised to be “230-240 Capable, Race Ready, Perfect Condition, Needs Nothing”, according to the owner of the shop that facilitated the purchase. Normally, when a shop owner is willing to fly out and inspect a car that will be linked to his shop’s reputation, you expect him to make sure the car is up to par. Reading Anthony’s experience with Nth Moto and the shop’s owner Aaron Miller, we find the opposite to be true, and the resulting experience has been nothing but headaches, disappointments and mounting expenses.

Taylor’s relationship with Nth Moto began on a seemingly positive note, with a fellow gearhead turning him onto their work, but that was basically the end of the good. According to Anthony’s recollection of the experience, posted on his personal Facebook, “During ownership of my Porsche I was pointed in the direction of the shop Nth Moto by a friend who had some serious cars. I was impressed and wow’ed by the fabrication work at first glance.” shared Taylor. He continued, “I flew out to visit the Nth Moto shop in the fall of 2015 for a weekend trip. I was there to discuss building a Gen V. When I returned home we continued talks on pricing for the Gen V build I wanted to do. I told Nth Moto that I wasn’t comfortable moving forward on another build until I put my Porsche up for sale and it sold.”

Shortly after, Miller contacted him with a price of $250,000 for a car Nth Moto had built for another customer. Although his Porsche still hadn’t sold, Taylor agreed to go ahead with the purchase after Miller had offered to put up the non-refundable deposit to secure the car for Anthony. At this point, Taylor believed himself to be the proud new owner of a twin turbo Superleggera that was, as previously mentioned, race-ready and in perfect condition. It would soon become painfully clear that wasn’t the case.

“At the Pikes Peak Half-Mile event I had my first pass in the car. The turbos wouldn’t spool up until a good half way down the track. Towards the end of the run the car made a horrible noise that we had no idea where it was coming from. The car was also super hard to push and move around the pit area. After a few 180-190mph passes we Called it a day as there was something obviously wrong with the car. What a waste of a weekend, Between my flight, my fiancé’s, friends, transport, hotel, rental car, time away from work and I also paid for Aarons flight, hotel, and food for the event a ton of money was wasted. Definitely a let down for a car that was sold to me as perfect, race ready, and capable. I couldn’t believe how a shop could let a car sit there for 3 months and allow it to come to an event broken.” Taylor lamented in his post. However, I think we all know sometimes things just happen, and Anthony was more than willing to make the necessary repairs and upgrades to get the car ready for the next event. “Nth Moto informed me that a CV boot was damaged hence why the car was hard to move around. The noise was supposedly from a bearing in the oil pan area. He replaced it with a new bearing. He also told me that we should move to smaller turbine housings so the car will spool up better. I said ok move forward with the upgrade so its done prior to the Indiana event.”

However, the next event would prove to be more of the same. “Two days before the car was supposed to leave for the half mile he calls me and says we just noticed the driveshaft is broke and we need to build a custom bracket to support the AWD upgrade on the car. I give him the green light and tell him to get It done. He overnights the drive shaft to DSS on my dime. DSS was amazing and overnighted it back to us with delivery one day prior to the event. Aaron put it in trackside while we had the track to ourselves that day. After the drive shaft went in we went to drive up and down the airstrip to see if the noise was gone. Unfortunately the noise was still there and I was ready to lose it. Two events in a row now the car has come to an event broken. I was told I was buying a race ready car that needed nothing.”

Anthony continues recalling the second event, “I tried to not let it bother me as I was already there and tried to make the best of the weekend. He gave my fiancé a ride on low boost for a few gears and we called it a day. The next day we went to the track for race day and on the first pass the car had a shift issue in the ECU from poor shift cut timing. During the pass I heard metal grinding during the shift and let out. I came back to the pits and told Aaron, so he made his adjustments and sent me back out. The next pass the car felt solid until the top of 4th gear, it fell flat on its face. I stayed in the last gear just so I could show a decent time for the nightmare I’ve endured so far. When I get back to the pits we noticed coolant under the car. I asked Aaron what happened, he said he forgot to put fuel in the car.” At that point, Anthony was understandably upset. Not only had he paid a quarter million dollars for a car and by this point, several thousand dollars in repairs and upgrades – on a car that was supposed to be race-ready – but he was paying Aaron to be there and help with the trackside support and he’d forgotten the most basic of tasks, fueling the car.

Things didn’t get better for the next event either, but before they can even get to the track, there was another $3,500 to repair a broken ring gear and pinion and a bill for $1,350 worth of dyno tuning to get the car ready for the next race, which Anthony paid without argument. During that time, Nth Moto took the car to SEMA, and Taylor landed a deal with a fuel company to be a brand ambassador for the 2017 season. This required some changes to incorporate a tank for their specific fuel, and this is when things took a very contentious turn, with Miller demanding Taylor pay $25,700 to make the changes and provide new turbos due to the changes in the fuel system due to his contractual obligation to have the car at the 2017 Texas Invitational. Anthony thought the pricing to be high, but Miller backed him into a corner with the buyers agreement, so he paid up and the changes were made before the car was sent to the Texas Invitational, where once again it broke.

“The car arrived at Texas Invitational in October. I had a few low boost test passes prior to race day to get acquainted with the new set up. The following day we ran a 187 mph pass off the trailer. When I went up for the 2nd pass the steering wheel was shaking and I noticed the car felt odd. I chose to make another pass anyway and the brakes locked bad on the pass and almost made me crash. Turns out when I got back to the pit area a wheel bearing supposedly failed and the axle broke as well. The weekend was over and back to Nth Moto the car went. I received an 18 hour bill to repair the wheel bearing/axle/and race prep for the next event for next month. I also got a bill for $2,085 for track side support. I paid them both.”

The “team” – quotes used due to obvious fracturing that’s taking place between Taylor and Miller – would try to run one more event, and once again the car failed to perform, never making it out of first gear on the first attempt at the half mile course at the Dallas WannaGoFast event. It was at this point, after spending over $8,000 on the weekend and not even making a full pass in the car that Anthony and Aaron began a war of words that would eventually culminate in Taylor’s post airing out the situation on Facebook. After some back and forth, Taylor decided to sell the car, going as far as offering Miller a $10,000+ finders fee to find him a buyer to help get him out of the endless cycle of breakage and expenses. Taylor was told nobody would be interested in the car because it hadn’t performed as promised. Disgusted, Taylor reached out to a shop in the Lamborghini world with a stellar reputation and they’ve stepped in and agreed to help sort out the car, although Nth Moto declined to pay any of those costs.

Only after all of this had gone down did Taylor find out his car’s previous owner had threatened to sue Nth Moto if they didn’t sell the car within 30 days, which explains their willingness to put up the deposit to “encourage” Anthony to pick up the car when he did instead of waiting on his Porsche to sell. “Nth had 30 days to move it and they found me to dump it on,” Taylor said in his post. The car is now in capable hands and will certainly be the car Anthony deserves when all the issues have been sorted out. In the meantime, he wants everybody to know about his experience with Nth Moto so they can make an educated decision on which shop to take their car to.